Sunday, August 12, 2012

Vanilla Almond Granola


Back when I was young enough for snack time to still be a part of my school day, my mom always used to pack me granola bars. Oh sure, they had chocolate chips in them, but that still didn’t save them from being the dullest food I’d eat on a regular basis. They certainly weren’t bad, but honestly, how was a kid supposed to be excited about granola? Ever since then, I’ve sworn off granola, only to rediscover it recently. This isn’t in bar form, but it’s miles away from the packaged stuff I ate as a kid. Combine with some plain greek yogurt and blueberries, and you have the tastiest snack/desert/lunch you could imagine. This is my variation of Eleven Madison Park’s famed granola.

Ingredients:
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup honey
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2.5 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup pistachios
½ cup pumpkin seeds
¾ cup coconut chips
1 tablespoon salt

Method:
Preheat your oven to 300°F. Place the olive oil, brown sugar, honey, and vanilla extract in a small saucepan, and heat over low, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Meanwhile, place the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the liquid mixture over the oat mixture and use your hands to combine everything.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and pour the granola on top in a single layer. Bake for 35 minutes, and then allow to cool. Be sure to mix up the granola while its cooling so it doesn’t clump up too much. Store in an airtight container. Yields 9 cups.

0 comments:

Post a Comment