Saturday, February 11, 2012

Caldeirada Maranhao



I have to admit, I’ve never had Brazilian food, nor do I know the first thing about it. Luckily the internet exists, so I found a recipe from a brazilian food blog to try. Caldeirada Maranhao is a fish stew from the state of Maranhao. Makes sense I suppose. It was an easy dish to make, and came out tasting pretty good. I could definitely see making this again sometime. Here’s the recipe:

Ingredients:

½ pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined
½ pound white fish, diced (I used whatever the fish was I found in my freezer)
Juice of 1 lime
2 hard boiled eggs
1 potato, diced and par-boiled
½ white onion, diced
1 jalapeno, deseeded, deveined and diced
1 side of a bell pepper, diced
1 diced tomato
½ cup tomato sauce
½ cup coconut milk
1 cup water
Parsley
Green onions

Steps:



1. Hard-boil the eggs, par boil the potato for about 10 minutes, and get the rest of your mess in place. Season the fish and shrimp with the lime juice and some salt and let it sit for a few minutes.





 

2. Heat some oil in a dutch oven and sweat the onion, peppers, and tomatoes for about 5 minutes.








 

3. Add the fish, shrimp, tomatoes, water, coconut milk, tomato sauce, eggs, and potatoes and simmer for 15 minutes.
   













  4. Serve over rice, garnished with parsley    
      and green onions







0 comments:

Post a Comment